This is a letter to the general makeup artists on instagram and youtube.
Stop doing stupid shit.
This came to a hilt today when I watched a drag queen that I do really like and think is talented but she started her video off with this:
Here’s a list of things you guys need to cut out:
- blending with stupid household items (food, condoms, random objects). you can get good beauty blenders for like a dollar online! Use your clean hands if you really just don’t have brushes or blenders.
- dripping/dribbling primer or foundation down your face. You don’t need that much.
- contouring more than once. pick one you like: cream foundation, powder blush/bronzer/highlighter combo… doing both is too much.
- doing the “100 layers of..” trend. stop wasting product.
- using weird cheating products like the vamp stamp and other things. If you are a pro makeup ARTIST then you need to work at your craft not cheat your way there.
- here’s another list too for more!
I love trying these items out as a joke… I would NEVER use them on a client or on myself. Out of the 100s of new products that come out each year.. maybe 1 or 2 of them are worth adding to your kit. The only thing that I have tried and liked that was popluar and new was the “Beauty blender” egg sponge. But I still don’t use them regularly on my clients. That’s why I invest in nice brushes.
I just want to say that for those of you doing these as jokes, cool, don’t take it seriously. But I am a serious makeup artist, I have spent 15 years working on my self and my art. I went to school for it, I am a professional. In my personal opinion if you can only do your own face and have nothing to show for your own work then you aren’t a professional makeup artist. You can do your own makeup well, which is a skill but not on the same level as me or my peers.